- Sets and maintains goals and objectives for the department in coordination with the Assistant General Manager and other department directors to ensure the delivery of service meets or exceeds standards as set forth by the General Manager and ATC Board of Directors.
- Coordinates and collaborates with Directors of all departments within the organization to address and monitor items as they relate to each department. Examples include but are not limited to personnel planning, service planning, budget development, fiscal performance, etc.
- Evaluates the performance of the Operations Department by analyzing operational data and statistics and executing change, performance improvements, and other direction accordingly.
- Takes strategic initiative to improve the efficiency and effectiveness of the Operations department. Such initiatives may involve procedures, policies, and practices of the department. Special attention shall be paid to the relationship of such procedures and policies to the Collective Bargaining Agreement (CBA) and other Company Policies.
- Provides direction, feedback, and oversight to the Assistant Director of Operations with regards to service delivery, staff management, initiatives, projects, and overall performance of the department.
- Maintains high quality employee relations which foster a positive work environment, promotes recognition for performance and ensures a customer focused approach to work.
- Ensures safe operating conditions for all DASH fixed route operations. Provides recommendations to the Assistant General Manager on any modifications or deviations from scheduled fixed route service in event of inclement weather or other conditions affecting ability to deliver service.
- Ensures the compliance of all applicable State, DOT, FMSCA, and FTA laws, rules and regulations.
- Ensures compliance by both parties with the Collective Bargaining Agreement.
- Ensures compliance with all ATC Policies and Procedures (Employee Handbook). Manages changes and implements processes to ensure all aspects of the operation are in compliance.
- Oversees and ensures effective administration of progressive discipline in accordance to the Policies and Procedure Handbook and Collective Bargaining Agreement.
- Oversees the collection and compilation of statistical operational data including payroll, employee absences, employee statistics, and variances to scheduled service. Reports to GM/AGM, and Planning and Scheduling Department as needed.
- Works directly with the workforce, Labor Relations Manager, and Union in conflict resolution, resolving disputes, responding to grievances, and all other similar work.
- Works with the local external public organizations and entities on transportation requests, community projects and serves as a direct point of contact liaison during local, regional or national emergencies.
- Is responsible for ensuring the highest quality of customer satisfaction and quality operations of all services. Reviews, responds to and reports on resolutions of Customer Service issues.
- Prepares and submits reports as required to the Assistant General Manager.
- Cooperatively and efficiently performs related tasks and duties as required.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Thorough knowledge of transit services, operations, routes, and time schedules.
- Ability to plan, organize and evaluate transit services and employee performance.
- Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with others.
- Ability to communicate effectively orally and in writing; to include providing guidance and instruction to subordinates.
- Ability to interpret Collective Bargaining Agreement(s).
- Must possess a valid Commercial Class B Driver’s Licenses with Passenger endorsement and an acceptable driving record throughout employment.
- Ability to make independent decisions within scope of responsibility.
- Ability to maintain composure under pressure; professional and positive attitude.
- Excellent customer and employee relations are required.
- Basic knowledge of financial management and budgeting.
- Thorough working knowledge of computers, hardware and software programs (specifically those related to Transit Operations and office products including Microsoft Word, Outlook, Excel, etc.)
Emotional, Psychological and Physical Requirements:
- Deal with long hours and high levels of stress
- Deal with emergency situations
- Conduct grievance meetings
- Manage emotional and stressful employees with care, respect, and professionalism
- Make quick and concise decisions
- Deal with the public on a primary basis
- Greet and meet with visitors, clearly disseminate information to customers
- Concentrate on priority tasks with frequent interruptions
- Travel regionally to various locations throughout the City of Alexandria and Metropolitan Washington DC Area.
- Sits or stands frequently for long periods
- Occasionally attends lengthy meetings
- Moves throughout facilities and grounds
- Spends time on the road in varying inclement weather conditions assisting in operations
- Lifts light loads at times (<50 lbs.)
- Possession or ability to obtain within 60 days of hire a Class B (Passenger and Air-Brake endorsement) Commercial Driver’s License
- Acceptable criminal history record check upon hire and must be maintained throughout employment
- Safety Sensitive position must participate and maintain satisfactory compliance with TMA’s Drug and Alcohol Policy.
Education and Experience:
- Any combination of education and experience equivalent to graduation from an accredited College or University with a bachelor’s degree in Business Management, Human Resources, Logistics, or related fields.
- Extensive experience in management in fixed route public transit operations
- Experience working in a Union environment preferred.
- 3-5 years of supervisory and management experience preferred.
- Knowledge of DOT, FTA, and FMCSA policies and regulations.
- Extensive overall experience may be considered in lieu of an advanced education.